5 reasons to drink Black Chalk English sparkling wine
Hampshire’s Black Chalk is a relative newcomer to the English wine scene. It launched in 2018 and currently produces two vintage English sparkling wines; Classic and Wild Rose. Both wines are small batch and made in the traditional method and are a blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Meunier and Pinot Noir.
Stylistically, purity of fruit is key, along with structure and a complex, balanced palate. The careful use of oak for a proportion of the wines and time on lees helps to develop this complexity.
Winemaker & co-founder, Jacob Leadley sets out 5 reasons why you should support them:
1. Hampshire-based Black Chalk sells much of its two sparkling wines – Black Chalk Classic and Black Chalk Wild Rose – through restaurants and retailers. As a result, we are currently focused on direct to consumer sales and are offering free nationwide delivery on three bottles as well as a free tour & tasting voucher to be used when we are post-COVID 19.
2. Black Chalk is still a relatively new venture, which officially launched less than two years ago. We are currently in the midst of a winery build, which will be ready early summer, in plenty of time for the 2020 harvest. A delayed Grand Opening will be planned for later in the year, and, quite frankly, everyone should be invited…
3. The team is key at Black Chalk, which is retaining all its staff. They will be hard at work either making their own deliveries around Hampshire or in the vineyards which they acquired back in January. Social distancing rules apply.
4. Winemaker & co-founder, Jacob Leadley, is behind the hashtag #theBIGenglishwinegoodfriday, an initiative resulting from a tweet he sent out last Friday: “If every person in the UK that loves English or Welsh wine bought a bottle direct from their favourite producer I think we might secure an entire industry and their workforce on one very enjoyable evening.” #theBIGenglishwinegoodfriday tasting will take place on Twitter at 7pm on 10th April, with several other English wineries taking part. Just buy a bottle from an English or Welsh producer either direct or from a retailer and tune in.
5. The 2016 is the 2nd vintage made by Black Chalk – and is now available on line in “Classic” or “Wild Rose” at £35 and £40 respectively: www.blackchalkwine.co.uk. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @blackchalkwine.
5 Reasons is a free platform for small food and drink producers, importers and retailers to speak in their own words about what they do. See What is 5 Reasons all about? for a fuller explanation.
If you found this post useful and were happy to get the advice for free perhaps you'd think about donating towards the running costs of the site? You can find out how to do it here or to subscribe to our regular newsletter click here.