5 reasons to drink York gin
So the first company to step up to the open mic slot is York gin in York. Here are the 5 reasons they say you should seek them out:
1. We’re inspired by York’s 2,000 years of history, and gin’s hundreds of years of traditions - Romans, ghosts, outlaws, distillation methods, amazing botanicals … and historic cats.
(The cat on our label is inspired by Rutterkin, a ‘swaggering gallant’ of a puss from the 17th Century.)
2. We banned cheesy Christmas tunes (anything after the 1960s) from our 16th Century gin shop last year – meaning Slade, Cliff, etc were off the playlist - and caused an international media sensation.
We only did it because modern tracks sounded weird in such an old building!
3. When we decided to make an Old Tom gin, we realised we needed a professional kitchen to make its sugar syrup.
So – as you do - we asked a Michelin-starred restaurant (the Star Inn at Harome) if they’d make it. They agreed and It’s now one of the world’s best Old Toms.
4. Professor Mary Beard kindly checked the Latin for our Roman Fruit gin’s motto – ‘Veni, Vidi, Bibi’ (‘I came, I saw, I drank&rsquo.
She now loves a Roman Fruit Negroni. And we love her.
5. We make five gins - four have won awards; the fifth (our ghost-inspired York Gin Grey Lady) hasn’t entered any yet!
You can buy them direct from the website yorkgin.com
5 Reasons is a free platform for small food and drink producers, importers and retailers to talk about what they do. See What is 5 Reasons all about? for a fuller explanation.Photo of.York Gin's directors: Emma Godivala (L) and Pete McNichol by James Hardisty of Yorkshire Post newspapers
If you found this post useful and were happy to get the advice for free perhaps you'd think about donating towards the running costs of the site? You can find out how to do it here or to subscribe to our regular newsletter click here.