Pairings | Vin Santo
Best pairings with sticky toffee pudding
One of the all-time favourite British desserts sticky toffee pudding is super-sweet so will overwhelm most wines you might think of pairing with it so what should you choose?
Your best bet is a sweet fortified wine like tawny port, sherry or Madeira, a beer (believe it or not!) or a whisky liqueur.
* An Australian liqueur muscat has similar toffeed flavours but you might find it just a bit too much of a good thing.
* The same goes for a sweet oloroso or cream sherry. Yummy though. One producer, Barbadillo, even produced a Sticky Pudding Wine.
* You could try a 10 year old tawny port which will be slightly nuttier. Some are sweeter than others.
* I have had (well-chilled) Canadian ice wine with STP. Amazing.
* And great suggestion from The Lemon Tree in Bishop's Stortford: Vin Santo. Haven't tried it but am sure it would work.
* For those who don’t have such a sweet tooth a ginger flavoured beer like Blandford’s Ginger Fly can be a delicious match.
* Or try a ginger wine or liqueur - either on its own or served as a Whisky Mac
* Or, if you fancy something a bit stronger, a nip of Drambuie or other whisky liqueur, a cognac or an armagnac.
Image copyright: HLphoto - Fotolia.com
If you found this post useful and were happy to get the advice for free perhaps you'd think about donating towards the running costs of the site? You can find out how to do it here or to subscribe to our regular newsletter click here.