Best pairings with sticky toffee pudding
One of the all-time favourite British desserts sticky toffee pudding is super-sweet so will overwhelm most wines you might think of pairing with it so what should you choose?
Your best bet is a sweet fortified wine like tawny port, sherry or Madeira, a beer (believe it or not!) or a whisky liqueur.
* An Australian liqueur muscat has similar toffeed flavours but you might find it just a bit too much of a good thing.
* The same goes for a sweet oloroso or cream sherry. Yummy though. One producer, Barbadillo, even produced a Sticky Pudding Wine.
* You could try a 10 year old tawny port which will be slightly nuttier. Some are sweeter than others.
* I have had (well-chilled) Canadian ice wine with STP. Amazing.
* And great suggestion from The Lemon Tree in Bishop's Stortford: Vin Santo. Haven't tried it but am sure it would work.
* For those who don’t have such a sweet tooth a ginger flavoured beer like Blandford’s Ginger Fly can be a delicious match.
* Or try a ginger wine or liqueur - either on its own or served as a Whisky Mac
* Or, if you fancy something a bit stronger, a nip of Drambuie or other whisky liqueur, a cognac or an armagnac.
Image copyright: Michael Gray - Fotolia.com
Got other ideas? Do email your favourite pairings to us at email@example.com. To subscribe to our free monthly newsletter and be eligible to enter our fabulous prize draws click here or to get notice of posts as soon as they're published click here.