6 of the best matches for spaghetti bolognese
Given the arguments about how to make a bolognese sauce it’s hardly surprising there should be a difference of opinion about what to drink with spaghetti bolognese but here’s what I would go for:
* a medium-bodied Italian red such as an inexpensive Chianti, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo or a simple Sicilian red. It’s the acidity in Italian reds that makes them so refreshing
* Italian grape varieties such as barbera and sangiovese made elsewhere
* inexpensive Languedoc or Roussillon reds
* Zinfandel. Always good with tomato-based pasta sauces
* a dry Italian white like Verdicchio. Surprised? Well, if the sauce is made with white wine or includes milk like Anna del Conte's ragu then you’ll find it will work perfectly well
* a Belgian-style blonde ale or an amber ale. Maybe another surprise but if you use beer rather than wine to make it and include bacon and a little smoked pimenton for a smoky note you’ll find it’s a terrific pairing
Note: obviously this applies to other pasta served with a bolognese sauce. It’s the sauce you match not the pasta shape.
Got other ideas? Do email your favourite pairings to us at email@example.com. To subscribe to our free monthly newsletter and be eligible to enter our fabulous prize draws click here or to get notice of posts as soon as they're published click here.