Competitions and offers
Win an aged Spanish beef meat box, a bottle of Rioja gran reserva and a copy of Prime
For this month’s comp we’ve teamed up with our good friends Islington-based butchers Turner & George* again to offer you a type of beef that’s become a real hit on the London restaurant scene. THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED.
Turner & George have made a name for themselves with their offering of cuts from older Spanish beef, spearhead a growing taste for ‘Old Cows’. These ex-dairy cattle, sourced from the hills of Galicia and the Basque cider country, are allowed to graze and forage naturally on up until 10 years old or more before slaughter. As a result, their beef has a rich, strong flavour and intense marbling, which is truly unlike anything else found in the UK today.
To showcase this unique meat, Turner & George sells a selection of cuts under the banner of their ‘Spanish Old Cow Box’ – which contains 2 x 400g Basque Bone-in Ribeyes, 2 x 400g Galician Bone-in Sirloins, 2 x 200g Basque Fillets, 2 x 200g Galician Rumps and 4 x 180g Old Cow Burgers and have offered two to our lucky prizewinners.
We also thought you’d like a bottle of one of the top riojas, the 2007 La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904, to try with it plus a copy of chef Richard Turner’s brilliant book Prime which is full of amazing beef recipes. (You may remember we offered it as a giveaway when it came out last year and it was SO popular we thought you’d like another chance to win one!)
(Rioja gran reserva is the official classification for the oldest wines in the Rioja region which have to be aged for a minimum of 60 months: at least 2 years in oak casks and 2 years in the bottle - we thought aged wine and aged beef would be the perfect pairing!)
All you have to do to enter the competition is register on the site (and subscribe, if you like, to our free monthly newsletter which will ensure you don’t miss details of our fabulous prizes)
Given the nature of the prize, you must be 18 or over and be based on the mainland UK to enter.
The closing date for the competition is 11.59pm GMT on Monday April 2nd 2018
For other terms and conditions see below.
To enter our competition, you must be signed in to the site.
If you aren't a member yet, you can click here to register now.
Once you've signed in, come back to this page and you'll be able to enter our competition.
Terms & conditions:
1. This prize draw is open to all UK residents of 18 or over, other than freelances or contractors employed by matchingfoodandwine.com, Turner & George, Wines of Rioja and their respective families and agents or anyone directly connected to the prize draw
2. No purchase is necessary. You simply need to have registered on the site and subscribe to the mailing list.
3. Entries submitted through third parties or agents will not be eligible.
4. The two prizewinners will each win a Spanish Old Cow meat box, a bottle of rioja gran reserva and a copy of Prime. No cash alternative to the prize will be offered.
5. The closing date for entry to the draw is 11.59pm GMT on Monday April 2nd 2018. The winner will be drawn at random from the subscriber database by matchingfoodandwine by Monday April 16th, 2018 and will be notified by e-mail.
6. The promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
7. Entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
The winners surname and county of residence will be made available by sending an email to email@example.com after April 30th, 2018
* Turner & George is an online and high street butcher with a difference. Based in Islington and founded by acclaimed restaurateur and chef, Richard H. Turner; along with butcher and quality meat supplier, James George; Turner & George has recently been heralded as leaders of the new wave of artisan butchers in the UK. And after perusing their counter, it is easy to see why.
With a strong belief that everyone should have the opportunity to eat meat that has been ethically reared, they only choose the best meat from British native breeds. Selecting from animals reared on independent farms and smallholdings, free from growth hormones, antibiotics or cruelty. They dry-age in house on the bone for flavour, make their own sausages and burgers, and combine all of this with a contemporary knowledge of taste and cooking.
Got other ideas? Do email your favourite pairings to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To subscribe to our free monthly newsletter and be eligible to enter our fabulous prize draws click here or to get notice of posts as soon as they're published click here.