Competitions and offers
Win a case of vermouth from The Whisky Exchange
Having just been to Asti and Turin, I’m really into vermouth, an underrated drink which makes a brilliant aperitif on a warm summer evening.
A staple of famous cocktails such as the martini, negroni and manhattan you can also drink them on their own over ice or with a mixer as a long drink.
To give you a chance to get to know them I’ve persuaded my friends at The Whisky Exchange to offer a case of six different vermouths and amari for you to experiment with. (Subscribers to our newsletter will also be eligible for a giveaway of drink writer Kate Hawkings excellent new book Aperitif to give you additional inspiration. If you're not on our mailing list, sign up here!)
The case contains:
It's acclaimed as the most credible alternative to the long-discontinued Kina Lillet due to its high levels of cinchona, the fiercely bitter bark used to make quinine. This makes Cocchi Americano essential in recreating James Bond's Vesper Martini and the legendary Corpse Reviver #2 from The Savoy Cocktail Book.
A big and orangey aperitif, it also has a big quinine bitterness that makes it an essential cocktail ingredient.
A phoenix among vermouths. Chazalettes is one of Turin's oldest family-run vermouth brands, which has recently restarted production and which uses the original recipes of Clemente Chazalettes, who founded the company in 1876. This red vermouth has notes of marjoram, Piedmontese herbs, musk mallow and coriander.
Rosso della Regina is named after Queen Margherita of Savoy, who in 1907 granted Chazalettes the right to use the royal coat of arms.
Belsazar Riesling Edition (NEW)
Belsazar have worked with famed German winery Dr Loosen to create this Reisling-based edition. Not only does this fresh and light vermouth celebrate the acidity and subtle flavours of great Riesling, but it also delivers an extra tropical fruit twist thanks to the addition of Azores pineapples.
Belsazar was founded in 2013 and uses high quality wines from South Baden to make its vermouths, which are blended with botanicals and fruit brandies before being aged in stone casks.
Regal Rogue Wild Rosé Vermouth
Regal Rogue's Wild Rosé Vermouth is full of tropical fruit flavours with native Australian illawara plums, strawberry gum and rosella. This is deliciously refreshing and works particular well in a spritzer or long with tonic water.
A bittersweet amaro from New Zealand that's made with grape alcohol and fresh local herbs and berries – including organic strawberries. Exclusive to The Whisky Exchange.
Apertivo Berto from Quaglia in Italy is a classic aperitif. Made by infusing spirit with orange peel, rhubarb and gentian, this is light and fresh and a superb cocktail ingredient.
The closing date for the competition is 11.59pm GMT on Tuesday July 31st 2018 and you must be over 18 and live in the UK to enter. For other terms and conditions see below.
Terms and Conditions
1. This prize draw is open to all subscribers of 18 or over, other than freelancers or contractors employed by matchingfoodandwine.com or The Whisky Exchange, their respective families and agents or anyone directly connected to the prize draw
2. No purchase is necessary.
3. Entries submitted through third parties or agents will not be eligible.
4. The prize consists of the case of vermouth and amari detailed above though the sponsor has the right to make a substitute of similar value for any product which is out of stock. The prize is non-transferable, non-refundable and cannot be exchanged for cash alternatives in whole or in part.
5. The closing date for entry to the draw is 11.59pm GMT on Tuesday July 31st 2018. The winner will be drawn at random from the list of entrants by matchingfoodandwine by Wednesday August 15th 2018 and will be notified by e-mail.
6. We ask for your name, email address and postal address in order to conduct the competition. Our lawful basis for collecting and processing this data is legitimate interest. We will delete this data as soon as the competition has concluded and the winner has received their prize.
7. If you opt to subscribe to our newsletter when you enter the competition, we will in addition record your name and email address in order to be able to send it out to you. Our lawful basis for collecting and processing this data is consent. You will be able to unsubscribe and ask us to delete your personal data at any time.
8. We accept no responsibility for late, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, corrupted or misdirected entries.
9. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
10. Entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
The winner’s surname and country of residence will be made available by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org after July 31st 2018.
Got other ideas? Do email your favourite pairings to us at email@example.com. To subscribe to our free monthly newsletter and be eligible to enter our fabulous prize draws click here or to get notice of posts as soon as they're published click here.