Competitions and offers
Win a case of exceptional Mirto rioja from Ramon Bilbao
A couple of months ago I went to Moscow to speak at an event organised by the Rioja producer Rámon Bilbao and reported back on one of the most extraordinary pairings they came up with - a chocolate layer cake and a really, lush modern rioja called Mirto which is only made in the region’s best vintages.
One Master of Wine, Simon Field describes it as ‘one of the most important and influential wines in rioja’
Well I told them how much you’d love the chance to win some and they’ve agreed to offer a case of six bottles in a handsome wooden box.
Obviously you don’t have to drink it with chocolate, in fact it would be fantastic with a steak, roast beef or a cheeseboard for that matter or, as the tasting notes suggest, with wild mushrooms and truffles. And although the wine comes from the 2014 vintage it will keep for a good few more years if you want to eek it out.
Here's how Great Western Wine which is selling it for £49.50 a bottle describes it:
Pure Tempranillo from a single, high-altitude vineyard planted with 85 year-old vines. Saturated purple colour with soaring wild plum and blueberry aromas, supported by complex nuances of tobacco, chocolate and Mediterranean herbs. The taste is deep and enveloping - beautifully pure, lively fruit, with lots and lots of personality. To appreciate this now, decant at least two hours before you plan to drink it. Alternatively, lock it away for 5-10 years.
Sounds good, eh?
The closing date for the competition is 11.59pm GMT on Tuesday 1st October 2019 and you must live in the UK and be over 18 to enter. For other terms and conditions see below.
Terms and Conditions
1. This prize draw is open to all subscribers of 18 or over, other than freelancers or contractors employed by matchingfoodandwine.com, Ramon Bilbao their respective families and agents or anyone directly connected to the prize draw
2. No purchase is necessary.
3. Entries submitted through third parties or agents will not be eligible. Only one entry is allowed per person.
4. The prize consists of the case of Ramon Bilbao Mirto rioja detailed above and will be drawn at random. The prize is non-transferable, non-refundable and cannot be exchanged for cash alternatives in whole or in part.
5. The closing date for entry to the draw is 11.59pm GMT on Tuesday October 1st 2019. The winner will be drawn from the list of entrants by matchingfoodandwine by 11.59pm on Tuesday October 15th and will be notified by e-mail.
6. We ask for your name, email address and postal address in order to conduct the competition. We will delete this data as soon as the competition has concluded and the winner has received their prize.
7. In the event that you decide to subscribe to our monthly newsletter when you enter the competition, we will in addition record your name and email address in order to be able to send it out to you. You will be able to unsubscribe and ask us to delete your personal data at any time.
8. We accept no responsibility for late, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, corrupted or misdirected entries.
9. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
10. Entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
The winner’s surname and country of residence will be made available by sending an email to email@example.com after October 31st 2019.
If you found this post useful and were happy to get the advice for free perhaps you'd think about donating towards the running costs of the site? You can find out how to do it here or to subscribe to our regular newsletter click here.