One of the all-time favourite British desserts sticky toffee pudding is super-sweet so will overwhelm most wines you might think of pairing with it so what should you choose?
Your best bet is a sweet fortified wine like tawny port, sherry or Madeira, a beer (believe it or not!) or a whisky liqueur.
* An Australian liqueur muscat has similar toffeed flavours but you might find it just a bit too much of a good thing.
* The same goes for a sweet oloroso or cream sherry. Yummy though. One producer, Barbadillo, even produced a Sticky Pudding Wine.
* You could try a 10 year old tawny port which will be slightly nuttier. Some are sweeter than others.
* I have had (well-chilled) Canadian ice wine with STP. Amazing.
* And great suggestion from The Lemon Tree in Bishop's Stortford: Vin Santo. Haven't tried it but am sure it would work.
* For those who don’t have such a sweet tooth a ginger flavoured beer like Blandford’s Ginger Fly can be a delicious match.
* Or try a ginger wine or liqueur - either on its own or served as a Whisky Mac
* Or, if you fancy something a bit stronger, a nip of Drambuie or other whisky liqueur, a cognac or an armagnac.
Image copyright: Michael Gray - Fotolia.com
If you'd like to subscribe to our free monthly newsletter and be eligible to enter our fabulous prize draws click here
To get regular updates in your inbox click here.