6 of the best pairings for chilli con carne
Like many popular dishes chilli con carne has many different versions - some mild and child-friendly, others much more spicy and assertive and often a little smokey.
Beer in many way seems the best option but a big hearty red will see you right too:
* American- or Belgian-style Brown ale - I highlighted this pairing in a past ‘match of the week’ but have since discovered that the Norwegian brewery Nøgne Ø makes a terrific imperial brown ale that I think would be a great match for an authentic chilli
* A dark lager like the Mexican Negra Modelo
* A porter which has some smokiness of its own
* Zinfandel - keeping the American vibe going . . .
* Argentine Malbec or a Malbec blend - always a good solution for beef
* Inexpensive Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon - the ideal choice for supermarket ready meals.
Vegetarian chillis suit similar wines but possibly slightly less full-bodied versions.
Image © kab-vision - Fotolia.com
If you found this post helpful and would like to support the website which is free to use please subscribe to my crowdfunder newsletter Eat This Drink That at fionabeckett.substack.com