The best wine pairings with chicken Kyiv
Judging by my instagram feed many of you are making or eating chicken kyiv, or chicken kiev as it used to be known, in solidarity with Ukraine so you might be wondering what wine to pair with it.
If you’re not familiar with the dish it's a deep fried chicken breast stuffed with garlic butter so it’s more about the garlic than the chicken. That pushes me towards a white wine or sparkling wine rather than a red. Here’s what I’d choose
- A crisp dry white wine like a Chablis, aligoté, albarino or Picpoul de Pinet, even a pinot grigio (preferably one from the Trentino region of north-east Italy)
- Sauvignon blanc, especially from the Loire e.g. Sancerre or Pouilly Fumé
- A dry champagne or champagne-style sparkling wine, especially a blanc de blancs (100% chardonnay or other white grapes)
- If you fancy a red wine with chicken kyiv I’d be inclined to go for a Beaujolais or other gamay or an inexpensive red burgundy
- A light lager or pils
- (Ukrainian) vodka and tonic
Top image by Alexander Prokopenko at shutterstock.com
If you found this post helpful and would like to support the website which is free to use it would be great if you'd make a donation towards its running costs or sign up to my regular Substack newsletter Eat This, Drink That for extra benefits.