The best food to pair with vodka
Vodka may be primarily thought of as a base for cocktails but in vodka-loving countries like Russia and Poland it’s always accompanied by food. Basically anything smoked, pickled or cured works well. Here are some ideas:
* Caviar or lumpfish roe (If the latter use to top sliced or stuffed eggs or mini baked potatoes with sour cream)
* Smoked fish of all kinds - smoked salmon, smoked mackerel and especially smoked eel
* Blinis with smoked fish toppings
* Pickled herrings, especially with warm potatoes
* German and Polish style sausage, especially smoked sausage
* Smoked hams or pork tenderloin
* Dried or smoked beef
* Steak or venison tartare
* Pierogi (Polish-style dumplings) - there’s a recipe here
* Beetroot in all guises - borscht, beetroot salad, beetroot pickle
* Cucumber, ditto - in a salad (especially with dill) and pickled. Those big sweet-sour cucumbers are especially good.
* Russian salad (carrots, peas and potato) or the more elaborate Salad Olivier
* Creamy or salty cheeses, especially with dill
* Radishes, especially pickled
* Dark breads like rye and pumpernickel
Vodka would also go with the sort of dishes you serve with other white spirits such as aquavit, ouzo or raki so if you fancy taking it in another direction try Greek or Turkish-style meze.
If you found this post helpful and would like to support the website which is free to use it would be great if you'd make a donation towards its running costs or sign up to my regular Substack newsletter Eat This, Drink That for extra benefits.