The best food pairings for Vermentino
Vermentino is incredibly versatile - a brilliant wine pairing for anything fishy, herby or citrussy and a great wine for spring and summer drinking.
Most comes from Italy - Sardinia being a particularly good source - but it’s also produced in Liguria, Tuscany, Corsica, Provence and the Languedoc where it's also known as Rolle.
With crisp fresh young vermentinos I’d serve:
* Raw and marinated shellfish such as oysters and carpaccios
* Fritto misto or other fried fish - I had a lovely side of fried lemon and sage (below) at Spring recently
* Simply grilled or baked fish such as seabass especially with fresh olive oil or a salsa verde. Grilled squid. Grilled prawns or shrimp - try this recipe for prawn brochettes from Bruce Poole
* Spaghetti alle vongole, linguini with crab and other pasta dishes with seafood
* Spring and early summer vegetables such as asparagus, peas, broad (fava) beans, fennel and even artichokes
* Raw and lightly cooked vegetables such as marinated courgettes and leeks vinaigrette
* Dishes where herbs are predominant such as pasta or gnocchi with pesto
Late harvested or more mature vermentinos pair well with:
* Richer fish dishes such as lobster or lobster rice (a local Sardinian speciality)
* Light meat dishes such as roast veal, baby lamb and suckling pig.
If you found this post useful and would like to be kept in touch with new content on the site do sign up for my newsletter