Six of the best wine (and other) pairings with chicken pie
Chicken pie - or chicken pot pie - must be one of everyone’s favourite meals but what sort of drink goes with it best? Wine, beer or cider?
Assuming you’re going for the classic creamy filling these are my six favourite pairings
* A smooth, creamy (but not too oaky) chardonnay is always good with chicken in a creamy sauce. A Chablis or Macon-Villages would be a classic match
* An old vine chenin blanc with a lick of oak works really well too
* Try other smooth dry white wines such as viognier or other medium to full-bodied Languedoc or Rhône whites
* A medium dry cider is lovely with chicken, especially if the sauce is made with cider too or the pie contains leeks. As is perry (aka pear cider)
* A blonde or golden ale is a great match if you prefer a beer
* If the sauce is made with red wine and/or tomato I’d go for a medium-bodied red such as a merlot or an Alentejo red.
Photo © littleny at fotolia.com
If you found this post helpful and would like to support the website which is free to use please subscribe to my crowdfunder newsletter Eat This Drink That at fionabeckett.substack.com