6 of my favourite pairings for pinot grigio
The news that pinot grigio has leapfrogged merlot to become the third most popular grape variety in the US is confirmation that, despite its critics, it’s gaining rather than losing fans.
No surprise really - it’s a refreshing, versatile wine that matches really well with light, summery food and ever-popular Italian staples like pasta and risotto. Here are my six avourite pairings:
* Antipasti, especially seafood and vegetable-based ones like seafood salad or marinated fish like octopus
* Fried fish or vegetables such as fritto misto - or even fish and chips
* Light pasta sauces including seafood like clams, cream or fresh tomato (it’s not so good with more robust meaty sauces) You can even add a splash of the wine to the recipe as I’ve done in this recipe for tiger prawns with tomato and basil sauce. Pinot grigio is great with a carbonara too.
* Light seafood or vegetable-based risottos like risotto primavera (with spring vegetables such as peas and asparagus) or with fennel. Risi e bisi too.
* Light seafood salads such as crab or prawn/shrimp salad
* Sushi - it might not be the obvious pairing but it's a great one!
Image © ArenaCreative - Fotolia.com
Got other ideas? Do email your favourite pairings to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To subscribe to our free monthly newsletter and be eligible to enter our fabulous prize draws click here or to get notice of posts as soon as they're published click here.