6 of the best pairings for chilli con carne
Posted by Fiona Beckett (Google+)
on February 19 2013 at 07:55
Like many popular dishes chili con carne (aka chilli con carne) has many different versions - some mild and child-friendly, others much more spicy and assertive and often a little smokey. Beer in many way seems the best option but a big hearty red will see you right too:
- American- or Belgian-style Brown ale - I highlighted this pairing in a past ‘match of the week’ but have since discovered that the Norwegian brewery Nøgne Ø makes a terrific imperial brown ale that I think would be a great match for an authentic chilli
- A dark lager like the Mexican Negra Modelo
- A porter which has some smokiness of its own
- Zinfandel - keeping the American vibe going . . .
- Argentine Malbec or a Malbec blend - always a good solution for beef
- Inexpensive Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon - the ideal choice for supermarket ready meals.
Vegetarian chillis suit similar wines but possibly slightly less full-bodied versions.
Image © kab-vision - Fotolia.com