We’ve got a really fantastic prize for whisky-lovers this month: four award-winning malts which all won gold medals in the International Wine and Spirit Competition (IWSC). Together they’re worth over £250! THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED.
Just to whet your appetite here are the IWSC judges’ tasting notes:
Aberlour Double Cask Matured Single Malt Scotch Whisky 16 yo
Nose opens with combination of earthy notes and ripe fruit. Citrus, apricot and ripe bananas with licorice, honey and heather. Interesting floral notes of violet and cinnamon. Rich and full in the mouth with all the nose promised on a backing of well managed oak. Some nutty notes arrive along with dried fruit. Warming and mellow. Long complex finish.
Caol Ila Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky 12 yo
Smoky bacon, tar, peat, herbal notes and some green nettle. Malty sweetness in the mouth with some citrus. Lots of treacle and more smoke. Vibrant in all respects yet with good balance and structure. Great expression of a 12 year old.
The Glenlivet Archive Single Malt Scotch Whisky 21 yo
£145.00 Gold Outstanding
Glorious rich full nose with sandalwood, rich fruit cake and vanilla biscuits. Creamy, buttery flow across the palate where some fine mature notes give deep character. Toasty flavours with almonds and fresh orange giving a more youthful note. Slight twist of smoke adds to the interest. Long, spice filled finish.
The Singleton of Glen Ord Single Malt Scotch Whisky 12 yo
Pale gold with bright highlights. Honeysuckle and rose petal on the nose followed by stone fruits where peach is prominent. Lighter notes of pear, apples and quince. Second wave of aromatics on dilution brings more floral notes and distinct ripe apple. Smooth, easy flow with all the mellowness of a 12 year old yet still some youthful vibe.
All you have to do to enter the competition is register on the site (and subscribe, if you like, to our free newsletter. Don’t worry we don’t bombard you with mail - we’re too inefficient to send out newsletters more than once a month.
Given the nature of the prize, you must be 18 or over to enter and we can’t dispatch prizes to those of you who live outside the UK. Sorry about that!
The closing date for the competition is 11.59pm GMT on Friday, January 25th 2013. For other terms and conditions see below.
To enter our competition, you must be signed in to the site.
If you aren't a member yet, you can click here to register now.
Once you've signed in, come back to this page and you'll be able to enter our competition.
Terms & conditions:
1. This prize draw is open to all UK residents of 18 or over, other than freelances or contractors employed by matchingfoodandwine.com, and employees of the IWSC, The Glenlivet, Caol Ila, The Singleton and Aberlour and their associated companies, their respective families and agents or anyone directly connected to the prize draw
2. No purchase is necessary. You simply need to have registered on the site and subscribe to the mailing list.
3. Entries submitted through third parties or agents will not be eligible.
4. The prize consists of the 4 bottles of whisky specified above. No cash alternative to the prize will be offered
5. The closing date for entry to the draw is 11.59pm GMT on Friday January 25th 2013. The winner will be drawn at random from the subscriber database by matchingfoodandwine by January 31st and will be notified by e-mail.
6. The promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
7. Entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
The winners surname and country of residence will be made available by sending an email to email@example.com after February 4th.